Tuesday 11 September 2012

Man Booker Shortlist 2012

So, today is a big day in the literary world with the announcement of the Man Booker Prize shortlist for 2012.

If you haven't yet seen it, then you can find it here.

I was suprised not to see The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce and The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman make the shortlist. I am pretty excited about reading some of the ones that were shortlisted though!

The current favourites to win are probably the two I am least excited about, Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel and Umbrella by Will Self.

I have Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel on my TBR pile currently so will need to read this before the next installment. I don't think I can get excited about a sequel without reading the first book. I will have to get round to it soon!

The reviews I have read about Umbrella have all mentioned the books unusual formatting as it is around 400 pages with no chapters or even discernible paragraphs. This doesn't appeal to me as I like having places to stop reading where you can easily find your place again and I also like to punctuate my reading progress with chapters. I will give the book a go though!

I am looking forward to giving the other four shortlisted books soon, and there are one or two that didn't make it from the longlist that I am really looking forward to.

Any thoughts on the shortlist? Are there any you can recommend or are looking forward to reading? Do you think the shortlist should look different?

No comments:

Post a Comment